Closure for Waimakariri water scheme

This morning the Browns Rock Intake will be closed due to the approaching sub-tropical low and severe weather warning in place, which is predicted to bring damaging winds and heavy rain to central parts of New Zealand. Waimakariri Irrigation in conjunction with the local council have decided to take precautionary measures to close the water scheme this morning in an attempt to minimise potential flooding impacts.

The intake gates will remain closed until further notice, and we will keep you up-to-date as the situation progresses.